As a team we have many years of experience using a plethora of different solutions for storing code. Everything from paid solutions like Jira and Bitbucket, all the way to hand-written custom solutions to store assembler code. In the end, we’ve settled on Gitlab as a great industry standard solution for all our clients. Among the many reasons, just a few that are key to our own success are:
- Reliable and easy to upgrade and maintain: It’s just an ‘apt upgrade’ away from the next release.
- Great open-source community support and fully featured: Any issue we’ve come across has been solved almost instantly with a quick Google search.
- CI/CD (continuous integration, testing and deployment): We integrate Gitlab with Jenkins for automated build and deploy solutions.
- Large File Support: When working with video or ISO images, it’s great to know that the back-end system will handle the files effortlessly.
- API/Cross-Integration with many other applications: We integrate our Gitlab with our slack for real-time updates and messages.
While there are other Git management solutions that are light-weight, they lack everything else we need (and use) in a product management solution.
Hopefully this helps to highlight why we prefer to stick with a full-featured product like Gitlab.
Our team has automation, best practices, and standard operating procedures to help you quickly implement Gitlab for both new and existing software projects rather than doing the trial and error work yourself to figure it out!