We are Linux server consultants and system administrators that can get you out of server trouble, prevent frequent server issues, bugs slipping into production websites, improve time consuming code deployments, and handle complicated server migrations with ease.
We love playing in the sandbox of the Linux and Open Source world. From coding to databases to hardware to advanced networking, we get the variety of work we crave. Things are constantly evolving, which keeps us on our toes and forces us to embrace challenges, be open to change, and continuously innovate.
We love working with other system engineers, software development teams, IT Managers, CTOs, SaaS vendors teams. Especially those who really just want to focus on their own clients and website functionality, and partner with us for infrastructure work, migrations, and ensuring their website or network can safely scale without falling apart.
Proactive Managed IT Services
- Fully supporting Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Optional 24/7 Emergency Engineer Coverage
- Secure offsite data backup and recovery
- Security Assessments and Penetration Testing
- Monitoring, Metrics, and Alerting
- Software Engineering focused
Benefits to your business
- Your developers can focus on coding
- Predictable pricing using monthly flat-fee and retainer arrangements
- A partnership that solves issues with an eye on the bigger picture
- Tap into the wisdom of an experienced team of engineers
- An operations team that has your back and
- Rapid support response through Slack, email, and phone
Pricing Model: Simple!
Proactive Support Flat-Fee
This covers a defined predictable scope of work that we agree to provide for a reasonable budget. The goal is to deliver our standard stack of services, to provide tried & proven solutions and standardization across all our clients. Typically this will kick in once the initial stabilization work is complete.
- Regular in-depth Business Technology Reviews, where you provide an update on your business goals, we report on system health and best practices, and we can discuss the roadmap for the 3-12 months.
- Proactive upgrades of routine Linux updates and security fixes.
- Ongoing management of data backups including policy management, verification, and issue resolution. Includes offsite storage rental.
- Triage of monitoring alerts and tuning of existing monitors.
Reactive Support & Project Retainer
This covers anything excluded by Proactive, and generally is driven by your business/team.
- Dealing with outages
- Developer support
- Changes, additions, moves
- Stabilization and other special projects
- Software development
These prepaid retainers can be setup in one of two ways, depending on your business needs:
- Predictable monthly budget: Set amount of hours that we invoice you for every month. Unused balance rolls forward to the next month. Special projects that don’t fit nicely into a routine “operational” budget are approved and billed separately.
- No predictable monthly usage: If it’s not feasible to setup a monthly retainer, you can purchase a block of time (eg: 10, 25, 50, 100 hours) based on projected usage for the next 30-60 days. When its getting low we will ask for a topup.
- Monthly work summaries
- Access to ticket portal
- Access to your passwords that we store in our system
- Access to documentation
Some of the Linux Services we support
- Web programming languages: PHP, Python, Java, Node.Js, Ruby, Perl
- Web Servers: Apache2, NGINX, TomCat, JBOSS, Wildfly
- Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL (and derivatives like MariaDB)
- DevOps tools: GIT, SVN, GitLab, GitHub, JIRA, Confluence, Jenkins
- Containerization: Docker, LXC, Kubernetes, OpenStack
- Virtualization: KVM, LXC, Proxmox, VMWare ESXi/vSphere, HyperV, etc.
- Cloud platforms: Digital Ocean, Azure, Google Compute Cloud, Amazon Web Services
- VPN Tunneling solutions: GRE, OpenVPN, IPSec, SSL, Wireguard, MLVPN, Bonded Internet, SDWAN
- File Systems: CephFS, Gluster, NFS, CIFS, ZFS
- Caching: NGINX, Memcache, Redis, MongoDB
- Advanced Networking: iptables, BGP, OSPF, VLANs, haproxy, Load Balancers
- Monitoring: Nagios, Prometheus, Grafana
- Log management: ElasticSearch, LogStash and Kibana
- WordPress Server Management
- Selenium Browser Testing Consulting
- Custom Linux/DevOps Consulting Projects
To summarize our services
- Linux Managed Support
- Linux Consulting
- Linux Server Support
- Linux Managed Cloud Hosting
- Linux Remote Support
- Linux Custom Solutions
A Capable and Friendly Partner that Allows us to Focus On Our Core Business
“Having Crafty Penguins manage our systems saves us time to focus on our core business which is web filtering techniques. This is our unique selling proposition, so time spent on that is better than time spent on the underlying infrastructure. CP really has very in-depth knowledge on the systems being used. When there is a problem, they are able to look a lot further and deeper than the average IT provider. As just one example, a couple of years ago we had an issue with packet loss on our Linux load balancers under extreme load. They were able to solve this by patching and enhancing the Linux NIC drivers. As we are in the Netherlands and they are in Canada, they are able to perform maintenance, changes, migrations, etc on our infrastructure during our night, which are their business hours. Crafty Penguins (Kerkhoff Technologies) is the place to go when you are looking for a capable and friendly partner!”
Herman van Rhijn
Technical Director, Kliksafe B.V.
Work with a Kubernetes/DevOps Partner that Actually Feels like a Member of your Team
“The biggest benefit is that Crafty Penguins truly felt like a member of our team. Other companies have made this claim, but theirs is real. I could call on them at any time, and they were always available and felt like a team member. This helped to build trust and gave me confidence in the software development that I was doing. They never said “no”, but instead, lent a helping hand to dive in and figure things out. Do you want just a vendor or a real partner? If you’re looking for the former, go find the lowest bid. When you ultimately are let down, then hire Crafty Penguins like you should have in the first place!”
President & CEO
Dorian Solutions, Crystal Lake, IL