- Connecting to a Raspberry Pi’s GPIO for digital I/O.
- Connecting to Google Home and Google Assistant for voice I/O.
- Connecting to Slack for text based I/O.
- Connecting it all together so solve a home automation challenge.
Very quickly and at a high level, what is it about?
Rob: Node-RED is a visual programming language that makes it simple to connect different API’s together. Its primary purpose is for connecting too and controlling IoT devices, but it can be used for many other things.
Who would be interested in watching it and playing with these technologies?
Rob: If you’re interested in automating home electronics like Philips Hue lights, or just looking for an easy way to connect a few APIs together, this could be the solution you are looking for. It requires little to know programming skills and is easy to get started.
What are some fun and/or useful examples of things that could be created with it?
- Automate your Philips Hue lights in new and interesting ways.
- Create a twitter or slack bot that flashes a light when you receive a message.
- Anything else you can imagine!
What gets you inspired to work on stuff like this?
Rob: I enjoy finding new and creative ways for integrating and connecting “things” together, from simple APIs to hardware devices to complex solutions.