We’re looking for computer and technology savvy people who have some basic familiarity with using Linux based operating systems at home or at work, a passion for “geeking” out with technology, and dedicated to their own personal growth in this area.
This is an entry level position and you are expected to, over time, grow your skills to an SRE level technician. Learning quickly with great attitude and team fit is generally more important then what you know!
Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) are software engineers that focus on reliability, scalability, and the development of cloud computing infrastructure. SREs develop, maintain and operate software that automates the traditional roles of the system administrator at large scale, such as configuration and cluster management systems, and that support reliability and scalability goals, including container virtualization and the systems architecture of microservices.
As a Linux Support Technician your tasks will generally involve initial triage and handling of alerts, system health checks, going through standard operating procedures for deployments, and escalating as needed to SREs.
About Crafty Penguins
We are the Linux/SRE/DevOps team at Kerkhoff Technologies Inc. Based in Chilliwack and founded 10 years ago, we service companies both locally and around the world. See http://www.kerkhofftech.ca and https://www.craftypenguins.net for more info.
What does it take to do this job?
- Basic knowledge of Linux operating systems, preferably Debian
- Have gone through the “Linux From Scratch” (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) tutorials and enjoyed doing it.
- Have reviewed https://www.craftypenguins.net/training-for-baby-crafty-penguins/ for the scope of what a SRE would need to be able to do (the job after this one)
- Familiarity with HTTP and Web pages, and the systems that serve them (Apache, Nginx, etc.)
- Familiarity with Database Systems (MySQL, Postgresql, SQLite) and SQL
- Familiarity with various Internet / IP protocols like SMTP, DNS, DHCP, SSH. You should feel comfortable with every setting on your home Wifi Router
- Familiarity with scripting languages. Bash, Python, and general software programming. You should be able to “code your way out of a wet paper bag”
- Good written and spoken communication skills.
- Be part of on-call rotation
- Ability to write clear and thorough documentation
- Be a passionate about and committed to life long self improvement on all of the above.
- Base salary based on experience, skills, and knowledge
- Participation in company net profit sharing plan
- Acquisition bonus plan available for any clients transitioned to the company.
- Extended Health & Dental including MSP premiums
- Flexible work environment
Other Details and Requirements
- This is a fulltime position in our Chilliwack BC office.
- Reliable vehicle and valid BC driver’s license required.
- Do NOT apply unless a Fraser Valley resident or willing to relocate
- Please include brief cover letter with your resume.
- Any applications without the word “Fiddlehead” in subject will be discarded.
Email cover letter & resume to: HR [at] kerkhofftech.ca